It’s easy to worry about being a good friend to others. Naturally, having solid friendships is important and worthwhile.
And having a best friend? That’s in an awesomeness league of its own!
However, it’s also important to build a deep relationship with the one person who’s with you 24/7/365.
Read on to learn 30 easy tips for how to be your own best friend.
- Speak kindly to yourself (like you would to your best friend).
- Enjoy your own company. Hang out with yourself and do whatever makes you happy.
- Be honest (but not critical) about hard truths. Being a best friend requires honesty, even when it’s difficult to hear.
- Celebrate your wins, no matter how small.
- Be loyal to yourself. Be authentic and stay true to your values.
- Take good care of yourself, healthy or sick.
- Be there for yourself when things are hard.
- Have inside jokes with yourself.
- Be your own biggest fan.
- Write yourself nice notes. Leave them in places where you’ll see them when you need a pick-me-up.
- Encourage yourself to chase your dreams, even when you feel down on yourself.
- Give yourself a hug. Simply wrap your arms around yourself and squeeze.
- Don’t judge yourself harshly.
- Listen to yourself. Acknowledge gut feelings and important thoughts/emotions.
- Learn about yourself (likes, dislikes, reasons for certain behaviors, goals, wants, etc.).
- Ask yourself what you need physically/emotionally/spiritually, often.
- Express your emotions in a healthy way.
- Make or buy your favorite snack.
- Get yourself meaningful gifts or experiences.
- Laugh at yourself (don’t take yourself too seriously).
- Accept yourself, imperfections and all.
- Be vulnerable with yourself about insecurities.
- Give yourself permission to grow and change.
- Prioritize spending time with yourself.
- Stand up for yourself.
- Forgive yourself for mistakes.
- Show yourself appreciation and gratitude for who you are and what you’ve done.
- Build self-trust by being honest with yourself and following through on commitments.
- Respect your boundaries.
- Get comfortable spending time alone.
When you befriend yourself, you’ll learn to freely express self-love and appreciation. You’ll build self-trust and get to know yourself deeply.
Be your own best friend. You’ll always have at least one friend with you, no matter where you go.