Are you passionate about animal welfare?
Do you live by the adopt-don’t-shop philosophy, and believe that all animals deserve safe homes and second chances?
Do you consider yourself a worthy matchmaker with awesome people skills and an eye for details?
If so, Paws and Claws Chicago Rescue is looking for you!
Paws and Claws is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit in the Evanston neighborhood of Chicago. They’re on a mission to help vulnerable animals live full, happy lives.
Founded in 2019 by Ashlynn Boyce and family, the organization’s main focus is rehabilitating and rehoming at-risk cats.
Their goal is to address overpopulation and high euthanasia rates in municipal shelters across the Midwest and beyond.
In partnership with these shelters, Paws and Claws relocates cats to foster homes in the Chicagoland area, ensuring they get the care they need to thrive.
Once the cats are stable and healthy, they’re matched with their “purrfect” forever families.
That’s where you come in!
What You’ll Do?
As the Adoption Counselor, you’ll be responsible for managing and screening adoption applications. You’ll make sure each cat goes to a home that encourages them to reach their full potential. Once adopted, you’ll support them and their new family as they settle into life together. Duties include:
- Read foster feedback forms to learn about each animal’s personality and needs
- Assess adoption applications using the shelter’s online software
- Schedule and host interviews with potential adopters over Zoom to learn about their wants, lifestyle, households, etc.
- Suggest pets who may be a good fit for them
- Process paperwork
- Communicate with adopters via email
- Follow up with adopters after adoption to check in and offer support
What You’ll Bring?
- A love for animals and passion for their welfare
- Customer service experience
- Interview skills
- A good sense of judgment
- Clerical skills
- Open-mindedness to potential adopters, regardless of race, religion, socioeconomic status, ability, or lifestyle
- An approachable, inquisitive attitude
- Knowledge of/willingness to learn about animal care (vet care, animal behavior, food, exercise, basic health concerns, pet insurance, etc.)
What You’ll Need?
- To be located in the USA
- To be aged 25+
- 5 to 10 hours available hours per week
- A steady internet connection
- A reliable computer
UCA members can apply for this opportunity through the Volunteer Network.
Step 1: Log into your UCA account
Step 2: Click ‘Volunteer Network’ in the menu bar
Step 3: Scroll down and click ‘Jump into your volunteer dashboard’
Step 4: Scroll down to ‘Featured Opportunities’
Step 5: Under ‘Animals’, click on the square that says Paws and Claws
Step 6: Click ‘I Want to Help’ and follow the instructions.
Log in and get started today.