We all want to think our children will grow up to care about the world around them. There’s no better way to ensure that than to teach them how to do so. Children are naturally compassionate and caring. By fostering these traits, you can help them develop a passion for helping others. Here are a few issues children can understand, and some ideas for getting them involved.
Don’t shield your child from the world — teach them about issues in age-appropriate ways.
- These books help children understand hunger and food scarcity.
- Use these resources to help your little one learn about homelessness.
- Talk to your little ones about how to help homeless pets, as well.
Help your child understand the power of their dollar.
- Encourage your child to donate a portion of their allowance.
- Organizations that fight hunger and homelessness always need help.
- Show them how much you donate so they know that donation is a family affair.
Encourage children to get involved in issues they’re passionate about.
- There are many ways your kids can help reduce hunger in your area.
- Bring a trash bag on walks and have them spot litter you can pick up.
- Introduce them to ways they can use their gifts and talents to help others.
Work For or Start Your Own Nonprofit Organization
Live by example by getting a job at or starting your own nonprofit organization. Here is a list of resources to help you along the way.
- Virtually Volunteering for a nonprofit is easy and safe, making a great way to model working for a cause.
- If teaching isn’t right for you, check out a nonprofit job board to find a career that’s a better fit.
- Start a local chapter of a national nonprofit that you’re already involved with.
Finally, the best thing you can do to teach your children to care for others is to lead by example. Volunteer with them, talk to them about causes that matter to you, and let them know what charities and foundations you donate money to. Raise the next generation to be compassionate, socially aware adults; the future will thank you.
By Meredith Jones, contributing author
We invite you to discover inspiring and effective ways to care for yourself and to serve others. Now more than ever, caring is what we all need most. Caring for our self. Caring for others around us. Life now demands caring, resilience and compassion like never before. So, become a Custodian of the Caring Movement and help create the world we need right now, the world we want for our future generations.